Adding a bit of a festive spin to your morning smoothie can not only brighten up the day a bit — especially the cold, grey December mornings we are seeing in New England — but they can give a healthy boost with the addition of cranberries and/or pomegranate seeds.
Why are red and green the traditional colors associated with Christmas? According to this NPR story, it has to do with holly, which can be connected to both the Christian tradition and the celebration of the winter solstice.
Tip: Oddly enough, NPR’s bit on the colors of Christmas also references a far less healthy source for the prominence of red and green as part of holiday celebrations: Coca-Cola, who commissioned an artist to paint a picture of Santa Claus, making red a definitive part of modern Christmas tradition.
Christmas Colors SuperSmoothie
- 1 SmoothieBox Green smoothie packet
- 1 collagen pouch
- 8 oz. coconut water or almond milk
- Pomegranate seeds or cranberries, or both
- Add frozen SmoothieBox packet and collagen to blender.
- Pour in your liquid of choice.
- Blend, and then top with the pomegranate seeds or cranberries, and enjoy!